Report showed Hgb level 5.7. Pre stage for diabetics?

Am XXXXXXX I got my medical report recently and 1 worrying data is the level of Hgb A1c it was 5.7 (Range - 3 to 5.6). Am i in the pre stage of diabetic ?. What are all the precautions i have to take care. pls guide me.
Posted Sun, 27 Oct 2013 in Diabetes
Answered by Dr. Amit Rajput 15 hours later
Brief Answer:

Detailed Answer:

Thank you for posting on XXXXXXX

The diabetes treatment is usually started when hba1c crosses 6.5
Risk factors for prediabetes or diabetes are:

1) Sedendary lifestyle with no regular physical exercise
2) Family history of diabetes
3) Overweight and obesity
4) Improper diet

Precautions you can take:

1) Regular physical exercise in the form of either brisk walk / jogging, cycling, swimming or racquet sport. Gym will be fine too.
2) Avoid oily food. To prefer fresh, homemade food with more proteins and fiber.
3) Avoid foods containing excess sugar, jaggery and salt.

One hba1c value is of no great significance. They are to be repeated every six months and if the number is rising, it can be considered pre-diabetes.

Hope I have answered your query. I will be available to answer your follow up queries, if any.