Report showed AST/SGOT was 30 and ALT/SGPT was 42. Should I be concerned?

Apr 2013

General Surgeon
I am a 32 year old female. My AST/SGOT was 30 and ALT/SGPT was 42. The standard ranges for my lab are 10-30 for AST and 6-29 for ALT but reading online, I see that many sources say up to 56 is normal for ALT. Everything else in my metabolic panel, CBC and lipid profile was normal. Should I be concerned about my AST/ALT numbers?
Posted Sun, 13 Oct 2013 in Liver and Gall Bladder
Answered by Dr. Ivan Rommstein 4 hours later
Brief Answer:
Hi and welcome to XXXXXXX

Detailed Answer:
Yes,there is no standard normal value range for these findings,but in every case this is just minor elevation of LFT which shouldnt worry you if you dont have any symptoms and your bilirubin level is fine.
I dont think that ALT 56 can be normal,but we can say that upper limit is 40. So 42 isnt something concerning.
AST and ALT can be temporarily increased because of alcohol intake,biliary colics,smoking or even after exercise since these enzymes are found in muscles.
So at this point I suggest just to repeat these tests in 1 month and if there is progression, you should do liver ultrasound which may show certain liver disease such as fatty liver as most common one. other possible caused are viral hepatitis, gallbladder stones, autoimmune hepatitis, but as I said if you dont have any symptoms and there is no jaundice, this is not likely to be anything serious or permanent especially considering that your findings might not be abnormal at all.
Wish you good health. If you have any questions I ll be glad to help. Regards