Report for kidney showed non obstructing calculus. Can any online doctor help me to read this?

Sep 2012

I have a question about test results that came back, regarding the kidneys and liver...
non obstructing calculus measuring up to 10mm in the upper pole of left kidney?
low wbc is shows 3.2
high cholesterol it shows total cholestoral at 267? (and I am a runner, with a fairly healthy diet most days)??
low lymphs it shows 0.5
ultra sound on chest and bladder were labeled "unremarkable" except for the calculus mentiond above.
I am frozen by all this as I have been healthy all my life and have never been on any medications, other than occasional headaches where I take Aleve. I am very worried, and would appreciate any suggestions on where to go next. I do have good medical insurance, I just haven't used it much since I always have felt healthy. to follow up, I can scan my results it that helps. but what started this all is I noticed blood in my urine, a lot of it! it was completely red, so I went in for tests.. It was not menstrual blood by any means... The doctor I went to barely went over the results with me, on a return visit, and said that she was relieved it was just a kidney stone. Couldnt really tell me the size, only read what the lab results said.. "up to 10 mm". Well that is scary. I don't think she even looked at the ultra sound image, only read the paper. I have a lot of flags on my lab results, and its been a week. I am scared about this. summary:
low CBC
High MCV
low Platelets
High Moncytes
Low Lymps
High AST
High ALT
Urinalysis -- well abnormal for all
Protein - ok
High Cholestorol 267
High LDL cholesterol 121

Chest, kidney, and bladder ultrasounds seem ok, as marked "unremarkable" except for the 10 mm calculus. Please give some advice... Thanks XXXXXXX

Posted Sat, 20 Apr 2013 in Kidney Conditions
Answered by Dr. Das Arindam 53 minutes later

Thank you for posting a query here.

Look, I can understand your condition. But, you need to come down. Do not panic. I am going to discuss your problems one by one.

First of all, your CBC indicates low WBC with monocytosis and low lymphocyte. The MCV is increased, platelet is reduced. All these indicates possibility of any dysplastic changes in blood. Megaloblastic anemia, alcoholism, liver abnormality all can lead to this condition. For confirmation of the condition, you need a hematologist in person for detailed clinical examination and further management.

One thing you have to understand that, this problem in blood may or may not be related with your other problems.

Secondly, your cholesterol level is high. You are an athlete. So, you are wondering why you have such result, right ? For your information, this high cholesterol can occur in any person. Because apart from high intake, some other factors like genetic abnormality, hereditary absence of some proteins may lead to this type of problem. So, do not worry.

But the good news is life style modification and some anti-lipid agents can give you a good result. you should consult with your treating doctor for prescribing atorvastatin and fenofibrate combination for this problem.

Thirdly, the liver function test indicates hepatic injury. You should restrict alcohol intake and avoid fast foods and take light diets. For this you need some liver protecting agents like sorbitol. You should consult with your treating doctor about it.

Now, your problem regarding kidney. Your description indicates hematuria related with this kidney stone. The size of the stone can easily give rise to such type of hematuria.

Here you need some good antibiotic first to control any secondary infection if present clinically. For active bleeding, you need some drugs like tranexamic acid which will reduce bleeding. Take plenty of water.

Secondly, you have to consult with urologist for surgical intervention. Because that is the only way to treat the condition.

Do not panic by reading the term ‘surgical intervention’. Now-a-days there are so many approaches to handle the condition. Usually, the surgery is very small. Extracorporeal shock wave lithotripsy and Ureteroscopic surgery are the usual procedures.

Lastly calm down and take the situation sportingly. Follow my instructions, consult with the relevant specialists as I have told. Everything will be alright.

Hope this information suffices. Let me know, if you have any more question.

Follow-up: Report for kidney showed non obstructing calculus. Can any online doctor help me to read this? 12 minutes later
Thank you for your fast response, Dr. Arindam. This is really scary for me but you made me feel somewhat better. So if I understand, you suggest:
1. first, I contact a hematologist? and make an appointment first?
2. My diet is already pretty light, I am trying to eat mostly raw veggies and fruit, most of the time. I do eat out with friends and have burgers and steaks, so should I cut that out of my diet and just eat perishable food like fruits and veggies? and Nuts.. I buy raw almonds and peanuts alot. I can stick with that if you think thats needed.
3. Yes, I did drink more than my share in college, and recently again. So I am worried about that. do you think I can repair the damage? based on the limited information you have been given by me? I am worried about this being cancer due to all this. I forgot to mention that the bleeding did stop after about 3 days. but its been over a week since then, and I have no pain associated with anything, just extreme tiredness... that may be because of my stress level of all of this, not sure...
Answered by Dr. Das Arindam 20 minutes later

Thank you for writing back.

I am trying to clarify.

1. Yes, you should consult with a hematologist. Make an appointment. Besides, you have consult with urologist.

2. Your diet is really very light. I think, your habit of taking fruits and vegetables are really very good. But, you should stop taking burgers and steaks. try to take foods with low fat. Because, liver is the organ which helps to metabolize fat. As you have a liver abnormality and higher level of cholesterol, you have to avoid these foods.

3. Yes, you have to stop drinking. If not possible, try to lower the amount. You can repair the damage if you follow the restrictions strictly.

4. Yes, your tiredness is due to the bleeding and psychological stress. But cheer up. Follow the instructions, and everything will be alright.

Lastly, do not think about cancer right now. There is no such proof till now.

So, do as i have told. Best of luck.

Hope, you have your answer.