Repeated throat infection, change in voice after taking cold food. What all tests to be done?

ENT Specialist
I have repeated throat infection (soar throat). Every time i visit ENT, had to take Antibiotic medicines and it will subside for time being. This will start again after 2 or 3 weeks. Though soar throat is not severe but it will cause little discomfort and voice will change (with sneezes sometimes). Also, these symptoms i see if i take cool drink or ice cream etc..

I just wanted to know, what could be the main reason behind it? and what are the lab tests i should be doing to confirm the same?

Posted Sun, 24 Jun 2012 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Answered by Dr. Ravinder Sharma 1 hour later
I am Dr Ravinder Sharma, ENT surgeon. On the basis of the information provided, it seems you may be suffering from one of the following conditions.

1.     Allergic Pharyngitis
2.     Chronic Tonsillitis
3.     Chronic rhinosinusitis with post nasal drip
4.     Gastrooesphageal reflux disease

Your symptoms are more pronounced if you take cold drink or ice cream or there is sudden change in temperature, the long duration of symptoms is also suggestive of allergic pharyngitis.

I would advise you for an ENT consultation and basic blood tests, throat swab, x-ray of Para nasal sinuses and x XXXXXXX chest and laryngoscopy to establish the diagnosis.

I would like you to know in brief about the treatment options too.

In case it is allergic pharyngitis, medicines are indicated. If it is chronic tonsillitis – Tonsillectomy will give almost complete relief. Sinusitis can be treated by both medications and surgery. In case of Gastro oesophageal reflux disease - Antacids and proton pump inhibitors may be required.

I hope this answers your concern. Do let me know if you need any further help in this.

With warm regards
Ravinder Sharma
Follow-up: Repeated throat infection, change in voice after taking cold food. What all tests to be done? 3 days later
Thanks Doctor,

I remember ENT doctors saying one of the options (causes) given by you. But You have explained quite well.

Let me consult ENT and have the tests done. Is there any chanse to consult you? I stay in bangalore.

Thanks again,
Answered by Dr. Ravinder Sharma 5 hours later

Thanks again. I appreciate your comments.

On the basis of history it appears to be allergic pharyngitis. Is there any history of nasal allergy, asthma or skin allergy in your family (parents or siblings)? A positive history would further support the possibility of allergic pharyngitis.

I am based in North India and presently working as Professor in ENT at Subharti Medical College. I would love to help you out in this. We can together work on your problems and plan a treatment if you do come over to this part of the country sometimes.

For now, I would suggest you for an ENT consultation and get these tests done. Please forward me the reports as scanned images and we can talk about it further.

Waiting to hear from you

With warm regards
Dr. Ravinder Sharma