Repeated episodes of diarrhea, have lingering problem, as result of viral or bacterial problem. Why would this happen?

Question
I have been experiencing repeated episodes of diarrhoea for several weeks. I have been to see my Doctor who has thoroughly examined me and said everything seemed perfectly normal and that he thinks that I have a lingering problem as the result of a viral or bacterial infection which could take a few more weeks to settle. He recommended Immodium and to re visit him if I'm still experiencing problems in a few weeks. Is this and why should this happen ?
Posted Fri, 13 Apr 2012 in Digestion and Bowels

Answered by Dr. Mohammed Tauseef 24 minutes later
Hello XXXXXXX

Thank you for the query.

I would like to know few more things which would help me in suggesting you better:

1.) Do you pass loose watery stools?
2.) Do you have fever?
3.) Do you have abdominal pain or cramps?
4.) Do you have bloating sensation?

Your history suggests you may have bacterial infection, but all these conditions have to be confirmed. Kindly get yourself examined by a Urinalysis.
3.) Stool Test.

Once the cause is confirmed, you will be treated accordingly - Antibiotics, anti Diarrheals, intravenous fluids to replace the lost body fluid. If this treatment doesn't help, you will have to seek opinion from a Gastroenterologist for further evaluation.

Follow these lifestyle modifications:

1.) Drink plenty of fluids.
2.) Avoid fatty, high calorie foods and dairy products.
3.) Stick to your treatment plan and go for regular follow up.

Hope I have answered your query, I will be available to answer your follow up queries.

Wish you Good Health.

Take Care.

Dr. Mohammed Tauseef.

Follow-up: Repeated episodes of diarrhea, have lingering problem, as result of viral or bacterial problem. Why would this happen? 35 minutes later
Thank you for your advice. The diarrhea (never been any blood) has improved slightly and now occurs about once a week the rest of the time everything is fine I haven't needed immodium. I get a lot wind prior to the attack. I have no temperature no real pain but I do feel a bit uncomfortable after an episode. My Doctor gave me a thorough examination 6 days ago. He says it could take a few more weeks to completely return to normal why is this

Answered by Dr. Mohammed Tauseef 16 hours later
Hi XXXXXXX

Thank you for writing back to me.

You don't seem to have any significant history. It could be due to a minor infection in your gastrointestinal tract which is subsiding gradually. If it worsens, as I said earlier, you may want to take an opinion from a Gastroenterologist to rule out the exact cause.

Follow the Lifestyle modifications which I had advised, stick to your treatment plan and go for regular follow up.

Hope I answered all your questions. Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries. Wish you Good Health.

Take Care.

Dr. Mohammed Tauseef.