Repeated bowels movements throughout the day, starts with hard stools and finally watery and loose. Any ideas?

Apr 2013

General Surgeon
About every 3 days I have 3 to 5 bowl movements within about a 2 to 4 hour period. I start out with kinda' hard stools and about the 4th or 5th movement it is loose and watery. After a couple of those I am fine for another couple of days or so. This makes no sense. Any idea what my problem is. (I have to stay really close to the bathroom in the last 3-5 because I cannot control anything at that point.

My pcp said to take some probobics and I have been for 2 months and no change.
Posted Mon, 3 Jun 2013 in Digestion and Bowels
Answered by Dr. Ivan R. Rommstein 37 minutes later

Thank you for your query.

Probiotics wont help if there is particular colon pathology. There is obviously bowel motilty disorder which can be caused by several disorders. First one can be side effects(and normal effects) of these medicines, especially metformin. If no pathology is found you should try to switch one by one and see which one could be related to your symptoms.

Secondly, any colitis can manifest on this way, it can be Crohn, Ulcerative or infectious colitis. The only way to evaluate this is to do colonoscopy and biopsy if necessary. Infectious colitis can be bacterial or parasite, even more likely parasite if you have such periodic symptoms. So you should do stool analysis to rule this out, this isn't uncommon.

Try to drink lot of fluid, eat more frequently but smaller meals and always try to eat at the same time. Of course, your diet should include fruit and vegetables, less alcohol coffee and fats.

If you cant control your defecation there can be problem in anal sphincter and you should visit proctologist for it and then it can be treated.

Some more serious disease such as malignancies should always be considered in your age,but this doesn't sounds to me like something serious.

Do follow my advice and I am sure you ll find right diagnosis and treatment.

Wish you good health. If you have any question I ll be glad to help.