Repeated appearance of hard, non-movable lump in the armpit. Advice?

I have a small pea sized lump in my right armpit that appeared 2 times now and the first time lasted for 2 weeks. I am 26 y o 5ft 8 220lbs. It doesn't hurt and is not moveable and more hard than soft. Any ideas?
Posted Tue, 22 May 2012 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Pavan Kumar Gupta 52 minutes later
Hello and thanks for query,

Generally lumps under armpits are either infected hair follicles or lymph nodes.
Since your lump is painless and hard and has reappeared, it looks more likely a lymph node.

Lymph nodes act as filters and entrap infectious organism or cancer tumor cells.

The causes for this lump could be varied from bacterial infection / viral infection (commonly) to tumor cells rarely. A careful physical examination by a competent doctor will help us narrow down the possibilities.

I hope to have answered your query. Revert back to me if you have any more concerns.

Thanks and good luck.