Reoccurring cold and sniffles. Noticed rashes on chest and spreading to neck and arms. Looks like measles. Suggestions?

Jul 2013

Orthopaedic Surgeon, Joint Replacement
for the past several years I have a reoccurring problem, it starts off almost like a cold, sniffles not feeling well then just when I think I am getting over it , about 2 to 3 days later I get a rash, it started just on my chest but the more times it happens the larger the area the rash covers the last time it was up my neck down my arms and on my back. this rash is not bumpy or itchy it is very splotchy and seems to be under my skin almost looks like measles. this lasts for about 36 hours then after a few days my joints will start to swell and hurt, sometimes only my knees sometimes on just one side of my body. the whole process from the cold to joint problems lasts for about 2 weeks and this happens about 2x a year
Posted Sun, 22 Sep 2013 in Skin Hair and Nails
Answered by Dr. K. Naga Ravi Prasad 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
A self limiting Viral infection is a possibility.

Detailed Answer:
Hi, thanks for writing to XXXXXXX

As your symptoms start off with cold & sniffles etc and thereby leading to joint pain and swellling, I suspect a viral cause leading to arthralgias (pain & inflammation in the involved joint). Generally these symptoms are short lived (wane off within few days) and will not produce any serious systemic effects.

Symptomatic treatment with Antiinflammatory medications like Advil or Aleve will help in alleviating the symptoms. An ocassional short course of low dose steroid like Prednisolone may be needed in few cases.

If the joint swelling is huge and limiting movement, then joint aspiration may be indicated to relieve the pain.

So, in my opinion there is nothing much to worry about your health status.

Hope I have addressed your query. I welcome any clarification.

Follow-up: Reoccurring cold and sniffles. Noticed rashes on chest and spreading to neck and arms. Looks like measles. Suggestions? 7 minutes later
then having it re-occur over several years isnt anything to be worried about, I have 4 children and none of them have ever had any symptoms like this, they arent even sick with a cold when I get this. I usually get it 2x a year one year had it 6x but every time the rash covers a larger and larger area sometimes a get a fever with the cold other times just an feeling of being unwell. if its viral wouldnt my kids get it? yet they are all fine and why does it keep coming back?
Answered by Dr. K. Naga Ravi Prasad 9 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Possibly, you could be having low immunity.

Detailed Answer:
Hi, thanks for getting back.

Generally, Kids will have higher immunity towards certain viral infections owing to the fact that their THYMUS gland will be very active which provides protection against various illnesses. This gland will be active upto the age of puberty.

Whereas in Adults, this gland gets atrophied or becomes rudimentary and consequently the immunity also gets lowered making a person susceptible to infections.

So, I suspect a low immune status in you as a possible cause for recurrent viral infections.

Hope I have provided a reasonable explanation for your query.

Good day