Reoccuring ovarian cysts, uterus removed. Can Femigel Oestradiol gel suppress cysts?

I am a 48 year old woman without a uterus, but with reoccuring ovarian cycsts. I have been out on Femigel Oestradiol gel - could this cream supress my reoccuring cycsts?
height: 1.72m
Posted Thu, 12 Apr 2012 in Vaginal and Uterus Health
Answered by Dr. Robert Galamaga 18 minutes later
Hello and thank you for submitting your question.

Your question is a very good one and I will work on providing you with some good information and recommendations regarding what is going on.

We occurring ovarian cysts can be quite difficult to control. As far as the topical gel what you referred to this has not been definitively proven to decrease the incidence or severity of ovarian cysts.

At the same time there maybe some other things you can do to help decrease the incidence of these bothersome cysts .

The first thing which can sometimes make a difference is weight loss. If you are at all overweight or possibly obese losing a mild amount of weight can make a significant degree of difference and improvement with ovarian cysts. Sometimes there are medications as well which physicians can prescribe including metformin which might also want make a difference for you. This is something you can discuss with your doctor regarding treatment. Certainly weight loss might make a significant difference.

I thank you very much again for submitting your question. If you have any additional concerns I would be happy to address them. I hope this exchange has been helpful for you.

Dr. Robert