Renal calculus found in kidney during sonography. What is to be done?

what is to be done for renal calculuse found in left kidney as shown 7.49 mm after sonography test
Posted Mon, 24 Sep 2012 in Kidney Conditions
Answered by Dr. Michelle Gibson James 1 hour later

Renal calculi or stones are hard mineral deposits that develop in the kidney or other parts of the renal tract. A person can have more than one stone at a time.There are formed from minerals in the urine and can be classified according to what they contain (calcium, cystine, uric acid or struvite) or where they are ( kidney stones , stones in the ureter or bladder

A stone is said to be small if it is 5mm, at 7.49mm the stone seen would be called a larger stone.
They can be prevented by: (1) increasing fluid intake of citrate XXXXXXX food (such as lemonade or orange juice) with the plan to increase the amount of urine that you pass
(2) take enough calcium- aim for 1200mg a day (low fat milk and cheese)
(3)limit sodium/ salt intake
(4) limit foods with alot of oxalate (calcium oxalate the most common stone)- foods found in spinach, strawberries, nuts, wheat germ, dark chocolate, cocoa
(5) limit animal protein to no more than 2 meals a day

Most kidney stones pass on their own if you drink alot of fluid (at least 6 to 8 glasses).
Larger stones may not pass as easily smaller ones.
Doctors can prescibe medication that will help the stone pass and medication can also be given for the pain that is associated with it passing out.
If it passes then you can consider collecting it so that its composition can be determined.

If the stone does not pass in a reasonable amount of time (30 days ) or you are in pain, if it is too large (as yours may be), or if there is also a urinary tract infection or damage to kidneys then interventions may be needed.
This may entail the use of sound or shock waves to break up the stone.
Surgery is also an option but this is usually not necessary.

So drink alot of fluids, use pain medication if you need it,your doctor may give you additional medication help the stone pass. If it does not then sound and shock wave therapy may be used.

I hope this information is helpful, feel free to ask any other questions

Follow-up: Renal calculus found in kidney during sonography. What is to be done? 24 hours later
your reply received regarding renal stone and thanks for a good reply. but i am to ask about my treatement of colitis means pain in left side of intestine.
Answered by Dr. Michelle Gibson James 43 minutes later

Colitis refers to inflammation of the intestine, it can be acute/short-term or chronic/longstanding. The causes vary , the main types are due to infection, reduced blood flow to the intestine,inflammatory disease (Crohns and ulcerative colitis), as a result of chemicals.

Some persons are said to have atypical colitis if it does not have the criteria to fit into the normal groups.
Symptoms include abdominal pain,bloating,bloody stools,fever,dehydration,diarhoea.

Treatment depends on the cause of the colitis, for example if due to infection- antibiotics are used , if it is secondary to inflammation as in Crohns or Ulcerative colitis- immune suppressants are used to suppress the inflammatory response.In this type of colitis it is also important to use a healthy diet, drink enough water,avoid high fiber foods and fatty greasy foods. Vitamin supplementation would also be important to avoid complications such as anemia.

I hope this helps, feel free to ask any other questions
Follow-up: Renal calculus found in kidney during sonography. What is to be done? 53 minutes later
You have suggested for treatment & My doctor given treatment for colitis as : Tablet nexipride 50 ( 2 tab a day after meal) & Meva -C capsul ( 2 capsul a day before meal) and for kidney stone as : URAL capsules ( 2 daily after meal) . whether it is right for me or you would like to suggest for another medicines for such a common problem. let me know further that K- cit syrup of 450 ml will be proper for stone removal in kidney, alongwith CRANBERRY Tablet of GNC Pharma, with mefatal spas for pain relief , for me. Kindly do favour me to intimate about your best treatement/medicines by your personal experience please . I will be very thankfull to you for that and you already suggested for the same.
Answered by Dr. Michelle Gibson James 6 hours later

Nexipride has a prokinetic effect which means that it will assist in bowel movements if you find you have difficulty with this as part of the colitis.It is one of the medications used in a condition called irritable bowel syndrome.
Meva c is a combination medication , one component would aid in relaxation of the colon and the other aspect is an anxiolytic which reduces anxiety with the concept the reduced mental anxiety may help in your gastrointestinal problems as well.
These would be both be helpful to you, the medication can be adjusted if it is not exerting a beneficial effect as yet.

In terms of the kidney stones,potassium promotes the urinary release of citrate which inhibits stone formation. By using K-cit which contains both potassium and citrate , it should prevent future stone formation.
The cranberry tab would help in reducing the likelihood of a hand it may increase the formation of calcium oxalate and uric acid stones. You should speak to your doctor to find out what type of stone he or she suspects you may have, though the type is mainly identified after it is passed and it is sent to the lab. After you pass the stone and it is analysed , your doctor will give you specific guidelines on preventing the reoccurence of that particular type.
Mefatal spas is an antispasmodic drug (promotes relaxation) and would reduce the contraction of the ureter that occurs when the stone passes.

You need to drink alot of water, if the stone does not pass or the pain is extreme then revisit your doctor for possible sound or shock therapy to the stone to reduce its size.
I hope that you feel better soon, feel free to ask anything else
Follow-up: Renal calculus found in kidney during sonography. What is to be done? 18 hours later
very very thanks for a valuable reply from your best knowledge. You are greate.
Answered by Dr. Michelle Gibson James 4 hours later
Thanks, I hope everything works out for you and that the stone passes quickly and as painlessly as possible