Ask a Dentist   »  

Removed teeth. Face is swollen and having little pain. Took advil but no relief. Is it normal for face to be swollen?

hi yesterday i had 3 teeth removed on the bottom of my mouth, today i woke up and my face was swollen, i had a little pain but nothing that 2 advil didn't help. Is it normal for my face to be swollen.
Posted Sat, 31 Aug 2013 in Dental Health
Answered by Dr. Ram Choudhary 42 minutes later
Brief Answer:
May be due to associated infection

Detailed Answer:
Hi Ckraynak,
The swelling is expected in tooth extraction due to local injury but infection is an added possibility and a serious concern if the procedure was not done under sufficient antibiotic cover.
If the pain is of pulsating and throbbing nature the infection is more probable.
You should get reviewed by a local physician and get antibiotics prescribed if appropriate.
Taking advil as required is okay.
Hope I have answered your query.
If you have any questions I will be happy to answer.
Please close the query if you have no other questions.
Wish you a good health.