Removed lymph node thinking had lymphoma. Had oral sores, ankle and legs swollen. Ruled out lupus. What to do?

Dec 2012

I have niece who has become very I'll, they removed a lymph node thinking she had lymphoma the test was negative. She get sweats has oral sores, ankles and legs swell and hurt, always fatigued. They have ruled out lupus, but after several tests and seeing an infectious decease doctor they have yet to determine what could be wrong. We are not sure where to go for help? She is fading away to nothing her skin color is gray?
Posted Sun, 18 Aug 2013 in Medicines and Side Effects
Answered by Dr. Nsah Bernard 1 hour later

Thanks for posting your query on XXXXXXX

I can see you are a worried relative. From your description it is most probable that she might be suffering from an infection and the most likely point of foci of the infection is her joints. Infective or inflammatory osteoarthritis could cause those symptoms. A series of laboratory tests could help with determining the cause so appropriate treatment can be provided.
Besides infection, autoimmune diseases could be responsible and it must not necessarily be lupus. She could be suffering from rheumatoid arthritis which is rare at her age but possible.
Just exercise some patience with the infectious diseases specialist that might be able to help and it turns that she is not suffering from an infection, then it is best she be sent to a rheumatologist to investigate at her own angle.

Hope this helps and wish you the best.
Dr. Nsah