Removed irreparable tendon. Bone grafting done. Having no sensation in foot and feeling unbalanced

Recently had foot surgery and they removed an unrepairable tendon. The surgeon had to do some bone grafting and inserted 5 pins. Unless I can see my foot, I don't have sensation as to where my foot is? I loose my balance when I take a shower and shut my eyes.
Posted Sat, 30 Mar 2013 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Luchuo Engelbert Bain 16 minutes later
Hi and thanks for the query,
The tendon - bone junction contains specific sensory fibres, which are called proprioceptors. These fibres are important in giving sensory information to the central nervous system (brain and spinal cord) the respective position of part of the body in space and also balance. Your tendon removal certainly destroyed thee fibres explaining what you feel.
It shall take a few months for you to come back to feel normal sensations, because nervous adaptation requires time.
Physiotherapy has been shown to help in some cases. Meeting a physiotherapist might be of help.
Thanks and best regards,
do not hesitate asking further questions if need be.
Dr Luchuo.