Removed intestines which was necrosed. Have bowel movements after eating following ingestion, cramps and nausea. Suggest?

General Surgeon
Question
I am 56 years old. 2 years ago I underwent surgery and they removed 1 foot of my intestines which was necrosed. Since about 3 months as soon as I eat I may have 6-8 bowel movements lasting 1 hour about every 5-10 minutes. following ingestion of food.or liquid. I also detected that if I drink milk, certain vegetables and fruits it produces the same. I have severe cramps, nausea, stomach cramps. No blood in my bowels. So far I eliminated oranges, orange juice, yogourt and all other juices, milk, ice cream, soups, certain vegetables and fruits. I consulted my family doctor and tests are being done. What could be the cause(s) ?
Posted Wed, 18 Sep 2013 in Digestion and Bowels

Answered by Dr. Hari Charan Perigela 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
It could be IBS

Detailed Answer:
Hi
You had surgery 2 years ago.
Your complaints are from 3 months only.
Removal of 1 foot of intestine doesnot lead to much disturbance,that too after so many months
The symptoms go infavour of Irritable bowel syndrome(IBS).
You should not be tense and anxious.
I prescribe Pre and probiotic capsules along with antispasmodic to my patients with similar complainrs till symptoms subside.
Your thyroid hormone levels should be kept normal.In hyperthyroidism,there will be excessive movement of bowels leading to hyperdefecation.
Let me know the results of your tests.
Wish you good health

Follow-up: Removed intestines which was necrosed. Have bowel movements after eating following ingestion, cramps and nausea. Suggest? 21 hours later
Are there foods or beverages I should avoid. I noticed that milk, ice cream, oranges, and many juices, also yogourts, melon and many more.

Answered by Dr. Hari Charan Perigela 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
No particular food is stopped in IBS

Detailed Answer:
Hi
If the diagnosis of IBS is confirmed,it has no relation to the type of food.
If you develop symptoms after intake of any kind of food, you can stop them.
In IBS,it is due to the disorder in brain which leads to the symptoms.
Don't be anxious.
Take the medicine that i give to my patients after consultation with your doctor.
After starting medicine,you can start the above mentioned products one by one and observe.If the symptoms are not recurring,you can start using them.
Wish you good health