Removed gall bladder, majority of liver, umbilical cord & navel due to cancer. What is stage 2 cancer? Chances of living?

My father in law had gallstones removed four weeks ago. Surgeon removed his gall bladder during this as a cancerous tumor showed in the gall bladder. Approx 2 weeks ago he had a ct scan done which showed he needed more surgery in particular cancer showed in his liver. On Monday of this week he had nearly 7 hours of surgery to remove majority of liver, umbilical cord & navel as cancer was in all of these areas.

We have been told that a small portion of his liver remains with cancer in it as location of this part of liver is behind his ribcage and was not possible to remove this part during surgery and also that cancer showed in other areas. Biopsies were taken and results will be back within 5 days. But this morning we have been told that he has Stage 2 cancer?

If you can explain as to what stage 2 cancer is, also considering all of the above what could his prognosis or life expectancy be? As stated above surgery was done....gall bladder removed, majority of liver, umbilical cord & navel.

Your advice would be very much appreciated.
Posted Tue, 4 Jun 2013 in Cancer
Answered by Dr. Indranil Ghosh 1 hour later
With the kind of spread you are talking of this cannot be stage 2, it is atleast stage 3. On the top of that part of it could not be removed. I am afraid that results are not good at this stage.
He should get chemotherapy after this to try to keep it under control but average life expectancy is around 1 yr only.
Hope I have answered your query. I will be available to answer followup queries, if any.