Removed birth control and having unprotected sex. Why am I feeling pressure in abdomen and back?

Hi I removed my birth control the end of may and was getting my period on the 15th of every month after that except for this month. I have yet to see a period or any symptoms of a period. Me and my husband are having unprotected sex and we are trying to have kids. I feel this tight pressure on my lower part of my stomach and these tight pains in my lower back and upper stomach I'm also feeling nauseous throughout the day. Can you please tell me what this mean.
Posted Wed, 14 Nov 2012 in Birth Control
Answered by Dr. Asra Ishtiaq Ahmed 14 minutes later
Hello there.

Thanks for writing.

If you were having unprotected sex and missed your period this cycle then pregnancy can be a likely possibility.
Symptoms of early pregnancy are missed period, nausea, vomiting , breast tenderness (pain) , increased frequency of urination, tiredness, fatigue, lower backache and excess of sleep then you may be pregnant.
Ruling out pregnancy is all the more important before you think of other possibilities.

I suggest you to take up a urine test for pregnancy with the home pregnancy test kits.
If it is positive do XXXXXXX your gynecologist for further check up which is a must in pregnancy.

Kindly revert back in case you have any further query.

Follow-up: Removed birth control and having unprotected sex. Why am I feeling pressure in abdomen and back? 10 minutes later
Thank you for answering my question. I work overnight when will be the best time to take a home pregnancy test?
Answered by Dr. Asra Ishtiaq Ahmed 6 hours later
Hello there.

Thanks for writing back.

Urine pregnancy test with the home kits usually come positive as early as the day of missed menses. In some , it can come negative when levels of hcG hormone are not high. So it is advisable to wait a couple of days (3 days) after missing period, before performing the test. This will avoid false negative tests.

The test should be preferably done with early morning urine sample that is the first sample of the day when the levels of hcG hormone are highest. Also do the test with a fresh urine sample and not a stored one.

But you can do the test even with random urine sample at any time of the day.

I hope I have answered your query.