Removed ankle binder during sleep. Got back swelling on foot and ankle. What should I do next?

Orthopaedic Surgeon
Question
Removal of ankle binder during sleep and 4 to 5 hrs continously during day time, I got back the swelling on my foot near ankle.
Should i discontinue the exercises or hot fermentation?
What should be my next step to do?
Posted Fri, 26 Jul 2013 in Bones, Muscles and Joints

Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 1 hour later
Hello.
How is the pain now?
If there is no pain and the swelling is mild to moderate then you can continue with hot fomentation and exercises as advised earlier.
If there is pain at rest with severe swelling then you need to stop the exercise and keep the foot elevated on two pillows while resting. Also take a mild pain killer like acetaminophen double strength after meals for relief.
Do not discontinue using the ankle binder during the day time. You can remove it at night and keep the foot elevated to decrease the swelling.
I am available for any further clarifications if needed.
Wishing you an early trouble free recovery.
Regards.

Follow-up: Removed ankle binder during sleep. Got back swelling on foot and ankle. What should I do next? 21 hours later
Pain it better now. It rarely pains.
After wearing the binder, the swelling that i had is no more today.

Do I need to get an x-ray done?
For how many more days do i need to continue wearing ankle binder?
(Because if i take risk of its removal, the swelling comes up again)

Thanks!

Since the pain is rare, it is better to use the binder for a week more and then stop the use. You can also start the active exercises of the ankle by then.
An X-ray will not reveal the status of healing of the swelling persists then you can get an MRI scan done for a better evaluation.
Regards.

Follow-up: Removed ankle binder during sleep. Got back swelling on foot and ankle. What should I do next? 36 minutes later
Ok, Thanks!

I am also having indigestion problem from last one week. I don't feel like eating anything. Though I eat very less throughout the day, i am feeling most the time like i'll vomit out.
For cold n cough i'm taking tablet - Sinarest (containing cetrizine n paracetamol).

Hope these all are not side-effects of ankle sprain.

XXXXXX

Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 4 hours later
The indigestion and vomiting can be due to a mild gastric upset or a side of pain killers if you are taking any.
These symptoms are not related to ankle sprain. Avoid hot and spicy food and take over the counter antacids like Digene and omeprazole for relief.
Regards.