Removed a benign from colon laproscopely. Incision bleeding profusely. High BP but urine not passed yet. Why?

My 79 year old father had surgery yesterday to remove a very large mass (benign) from his colon. The doctor did the surgery laproscopely and had to make a 6 inch incision because of the size. He has been bleeding profusely from the incision and the nurses have made several calls to the doctors and no one has shown up yet except a resident. His BP is 115/33 which also concerns me because he also isn’t producing any urine. Where do we go from here??
Posted Tue, 1 May 2012 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Robert Galamaga 2 hours later
Hello and thank you for submitting your question.

I can certainly understand your concern with what you have reported regarding your father. It is possible that there may be a leaking blood vessels just under the skin where he had his surgery performed. In addition to vital signs is important that his hemoglobin is monitored. If there is a significant drop in his hemoglobin compared to the last check he will likely need to be brought back to the operating room for an exploration of the previous surgical site.

I am sure the resident physicians are communicating their findings to the XXXXXXX doctors who may be busy right now in the operating room. I am sure they will make your father a priority very soon if he needs to be taken to the operating room. Again as I mentioned it is important to have his blood count reviewed to see if there is a significant drop in his hemoglobin. The vital signs what you reported are concerning but I am questioning whether they are accurate. It is important to have blood pressure and pulse monitored very frequently on the order of every one or two hours.

The doctors may also consider starting some intravenous fluid supplementation if they think he is losing some blood. At some point he may need a transfusion if the hemoglobin is dropping significantly.

I thank you again for submitting your question. Again I can appreciate you're dealing with a lot of stress but I am confident that the physicians will make decisions to help your father's clinical status improve soon. If you have any additional questions I would be happy to address them.

Dr. Robert