Removed IUD due to pain and discomfort. Used estrogen. Suffer migraines. Have clear discharge. Breastfeeding. Side effects?

Mar 2016

Hi, I was on the IUD but got it removed because of pain and discomfort. I then got on the pill the one that has 3 cycles of estrogen. We'll that have me bad migraines so I've been on the XXXXXXX pill ever since. I ended the combination pill on Thursday but didn't start the XXXXXXX pill until Sunday. I'm on the fourth week of my first pack, so I should have gotten my period yesterday :-/ I've also had a lot of slimy clear discharge like 2 days ago. I have a 15 month old son who still breastfeeds, and this past week my breasts have been really sore and tender. Could this be side effect from my body going through all the changes??
Posted Wed, 16 Oct 2013 in Women's Health
Answered by Dr. S Patra 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Hormonal pill can cause PMS like symptoms.

Detailed Answer:

First of all, clear white discharge and sore breast are quite common phenomena prior to commencement of period. It occurs mainly due to effect of progesterone or intake of external hormonal pill. They can cause PMS like symptoms which you have gotten few days ago. This features will be overcome after period ended.

Second thing, most women get some side effect like abdominal cramp, vomiting, headache, irregular spotting, breast tenderness etc for initial 2 to 3 cycles until your body is adjusted with hormonal pills. Don't be worried about this. Maintain a healthy life style.

Lastly, if you do not wish to take any kind of pill, then you can opt for injectable contraceptive method like Depo shot (once in 3 months) etc. It has less side effects in comparison to pills. Kindly, consult with your gynecologist regarding this.

Hope, above information is quite helpful to you. Kindly, close the discussion in case of not having other query.

Wish your good health and take care yourself.

Dr Soumen

For future query, you can directly approach me through