Removal of wisdom tooth, loud sounds while dental drill. Can the noise damage hearing?

Excellent

ENT Specialist
Question
Hello :)

I have just been to the dentist; and I removed my wisdom tooth; but under the operation the dentist used the dental drill to remove the wisdom tooth; and there was some really high pitch sounds and it really was uncomfortable in my ears and sounded awful.

Could this damage my hearing ?
Posted Mon, 2 Jul 2012 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems

Answered by Dr. Sumit Bhatti 1 hour later

Thank you for your query.

1. Conduction of sound through skull bones is one of the important mechanisms by which we normally hear.

2. Bone conduction is a highly efficient transfer of sound as sound travels faster than air in a dense or solid medium. That is why you heard the loud sounds during drilling. This is normal.

I must emphasize that permanent hearing damage is unlikely. If you still feel any doubt, get a PTA (Pure Tone Audiogram) which will settle the issue.

I hope that I have answered your queries. If you have any further questions, I will be available to answer them.

Regards.

Follow-up: Removal of wisdom tooth, loud sounds while dental drill. Can the noise damage hearing? 3 hours later
okey thanks.

So if I had hearing protection while drilling; I would still hear this loud sounds during drilling ?

Bugvi

Answered by Dr. Sumit Bhatti 4 hours later

Thank you for writing back.

1. Yes, you would have still heard the sounds and vibration due to the drilling even with hearing protection.

2. This phenomenon is also the basis of a new class of hearing aids known as Bone Anchored Hearing Aids (BAHA). In fact, a new type of BAHA known as Sound Bite under development actually clips onto the upper molar teeth.

Regards.