Removal of mole from the back, cauterizing, got electric shock, tiny burn occured. Internal damage?

i had a mole removed from my back and was laying on my front and when the dr was cauterizing it afterwards i felt something 'pierce my stomach' like a needle, as if it had up through the couch and into my stomach. i got up and it turns out it was an electric shock which left a tiny burn. Coudl this cause XXXXXXX damage?
Posted Sat, 21 Apr 2012 in Medicines and Side Effects
Answered by Dr. Mohammed Tauseef 1 hour later

Thank you for posting the query.

Cauterization is a medical procedure where in heat or chemicals are used to destroy and burn the tissue. The two most common risks associated with this procedure are infection and scar tissue formation. The scar will take some time to fade away.

There won't be any harmful damage to your XXXXXXX tissues or organs as the procedure involves only the epidermal and sometimes dermal layer. Muscles and XXXXXXX organs are unaffected. So do not worry.

Hope this answers your query, Please accept my answer if you have no follow-up queries.

Good Luck.

Dr. Mohammed Tauseef.
Follow-up: Removal of mole from the back, cauterizing, got electric shock, tiny burn occured. Internal damage? 12 minutes later
the question wasnt about the scar from the cut on my back it was about an electrick shock i received on my abdomen which came though a metal plate on the couch. thats the only thing im worried about.
Answered by Dr. Mohammed Tauseef 36 minutes later

Thank you for writing back to me.

Electrocautery unlike electrosurgery is a procedure where electricity is used to heat up the cautering unit. The cautery transmits the same to the tissues at a frequency of more than 100Hz which ensures that the effects are restricted to the superficial layers only. Deeper structures are left unharmed.

What you might have felt could have been the effects of electricity / heated cautery at the same area.

However sometimes may be due to faulty techniques if electric current would have passed deeper, do not worry. XXXXXXX injuries are found in high voltage alternate current electrocution and not during electrocautery.

Hope I have clarified your doubts now. Please accept my answer if you do not have any further queries.

Take Care.

Dr. Mohammed Tauseef.