Remedy for severe constipation

Pediatrician, Infectious Diseases
Detail about patient:
Relation: Father, Height: 5ft 7inch, Weight: 68, Age: 60, No traces of blood sugar, high/low pressure.
Please suggest remedy for proper Bowel movement. Constipation persisting. No regularity and systematic stool passage
Posted Sun, 6 May 2012 in Constipation
Answered by Dr. Hema Yadav 38 minutes later
There are several lifestyle measures that can be adopted by your father for relieving constipation
1.     Taking a high fibre diet XXXXXXX in fruits, vegetables
2.     Drinking plenty of water
3.     Psyllium husks which are available under the brand name of ISABGOL. 1 teaspoon of this powder has to be taken with milk or water at bedtime.
4.     Oral stool softeners like lactulose and purgatives like cremaffin can also be used but these are prescription drugs which can be obtained after your father has been completely evaluated by his treating physician.
If your father has had a tendency to be constipated then this problem might be aggravated with age due to laxity of muscles with increasing age. But if this problem has started recently, I would suggest that you consult a surgical gastroenterologist who will completely evaluate your father and prescribe appropriate therapy. This is needed to rule out any obstruction in the bowel. The diagnosis of IBS) is usually done only after excluding any major pathologies and this can be done only after you have consulted your gastroenterologist.
Avoiding stress and anxiety is an important part of IBS management. Further, regularising his sleep and dietary habits would also be necessary. Practicing yoga for half an hour has also been found useful.
I hope I have answered your query. Please accept my answer if you have no further queries.