Remedy for red meatus?

How can I cure my red meatus?
Posted Sun, 9 Jun 2013 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Achuo Ascensius 8 hours later
thanks for the query

To better response to your query, i would like you to answer the following questions.
1. is it the urethral meatus?
2. did the redness appear after sexual intercourse or trauma?
3. how big is the red region
4. does it pain?
5. when you urinate, do you feel pains?

Follow-up: Remedy for red meatus? 12 hours later
the redness is on the urinary meatus. Located where I urinate from. The red region isn't very large. The region looks like red lips. There is only slight tingling for 5 seconds after I urinate. No burning. I haven't had any sexual intercourse. No pain.
Answered by Dr. Achuo Ascensius 38 minutes later
thanks for responding.

With no notion of sexual exposure, we could confidently rule out an STD. But then it could be a just a non sexually transmissible infection ( bacterial, viral or yeast) or an allergic reaction or trauma from rubbing on your underwear or due to concentrated urine.
Since it does not pain nor irritate it would be less likely to be a viral or bacterial infection. Thus it is most likely that its a trauma from scrubbing with underwear, or due to concentrated urine or a yeast infection.

You should drink much water to dilute urine and observe the lesion for a some days and see how it evolves. In the case of trauma or concentrated urine, it will clear off in a few days while in the case of yeast infection the redness will persist until you use an antifungal drug.

However, you might consider to visit a doctor for a detail examination.
Hope this answers your query. If you have further query, i will be glad to help. If you do not have further query, you could close the discussion and rate the answers.
Best regards
Follow-up: Remedy for red meatus? 25 minutes later
Hello. Thank you for your reply.

I first noticed it 2 weeks ago on the March 9th. I washed it for 3 days but it did not go away. So I visited the doctor on the 14th and he prescribed me 14 ciprofloxacin tablets to take for a week, 2 a day. That hasn't done much. So I visited last Friday and he took a urine sample for examination. The result for it will come on this Wednesday. Do you think he is doing the right thing. He mentioned that if the urine test comes negative the next thing will be to insert a camera in to my meatus to see if there is anything unusual. Is this required? I don't know if I could go through with it. The tip of the penis does feel uncomfortable when clothing touches or rubs against hard. That's all that I feel.
Answered by Dr. Achuo Ascensius 23 minutes later
thanks once more for the query,

Ciprofloxacine is an antibiotic and as i said in my last response, the cause of your trouble is less likely to be of bacterial origin. However, the fact that you used an antibiotic and there is no improvements supports that its not bacterial in origin.

There are thus two diagnosis at moment to consider; a trauma due to rubbing on underwear or a yeast infection. Trauma causes an inflammation which could be manage by using steroid cream such as betamethasone cream twice daily while yeast infection will be manage by use of anti yeast creams such as clotrimaxole cream or miconazole or econazole cream twice daily. All these medications are over the counter drugs and you could start with the steroid or anti yeast cream for a couple of days and see the evolution. if the evolution in 5 to 7 days is good then you continue but if its worsening or no change you stop and start the other.

I do not think sending a camera into you penis at this juncture in worth the trouble. Though its a good test but its indication as of now with respect to your condition can not be over emphasized. It is very useful in checking out the urethral mucosa in case of suspicion of cancer or other morphological issues which i doubt strongly are the cause of you problem as of now.

However, you could discuss in details with him as to why he wants the test since he is the doctor who has physically examined you.

Best regards