Remedy for nasal congestion, smoky smell, and painful sores in nose?
User rating for this question
I am having nasal congestion and frequently "smell" an odor like an old campfire/smoke I am not around smokers and it can ocur at all times of day and night? I have had extremely painful sores in my nose that I put antibiotic ointment on via a q-tip swab. my nose becomes very tender and slightly swollen.
Posted Sat, 1 Mar 2014 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Roopa Hiremath 1 hour later
Brief Answer: Nasal Congestion, Sores in nose Detailed Answer: Hi, Welcome to health care magic. I understand your concern as nasal congestion can be very distressing and can predispose for sores which are usually caused due to infection by bacteria. Most common causes of nasal congestion include common colds, allergies and chronic sinusitis. You have typical symptoms of chronic sinusitis where there is nasal congestion and then anaerobic bacteria cause infection of the nasal mucosa which results in gas like smell (parosmia) and painful sores. I suggest you follow the following tips for nasal congestion and sores: 1. Nasal saline spray to make your nasal passages moist. 2. Inhalation of steam will help relieve the pressure and aid drainage of sinuses 3. Over the counter decongestants can be used. 4. Continue application of antibacterial cream over the sores. 5. Get an ENT consult and prescription of antibiotics for treatment of sinusitis. 6. Over the counter painkillers can be taken for relief of pressure and painful sores. Parosmia will be relieved once the sinusitis is successfully treated. I hope I have helped you with this answer. Please get back if any more clarifications. Thanks.
People also viewed
- What to take care after embryo transfer
- Cant shift heartburn pregnancy
- Care after typhoid recovery
- Nasal congestion and bad smell
- Newborn cant sleep because of gas
- Nasal congestion and runny nose
- Weird smell in nose with nasal congestion
- Sore throat nasal congestion pain in ear sinus congestion remedy
- Diarrhea after eating carrots
- Cant stop shivering fever
- Cant stop touching neck glands
- Nasal congestion ammonia smell
- Feeling sick after painting car
- Hernia surgery cant poop
- Post op care for stitches after syringoma