Remedy for burning and fogginess after bleach entered eye by accident?

Got some bleach in one eye while cleaning shower. Rinsed it with water for 10 minutes. It is still burning and I have some fog when using it. It is still burning. Should i sleep on it and see how it feels in morning or go to ER
Posted Sun, 16 Mar 2014 in Vision and Eye Disorders
Answered by Dr. Dadapeer K 42 minutes later
Brief Answer: It requires eyewash and antibiotic eye drops. Detailed Answer: Hello Welcome to Health care magic Iam Dr. Dadapeer, an Ophthalmologist and I answer health problems related to eye. It seems from the history that bleaching powder is fell into your eyes, following which you are having burning of eyes and foggy vision. The first thing to be done is thorough wash with normal water to remove all the bleaching powder particles from the eye, which you have done. I advice you to repeat eye wash thoroughly and see that no more particles are retained in the eyes. Please check in the corners of the eye called as fornices as usually bleaching powder is known to be retained in these fornices. Since you have mentioned that you are having burning and foggy vision, the bleaching powder has caused some damage to the eyes. Bleaching powder contains calcium hypochlorite and it causes corrosive lesions when comes in contact with skin or eyes. The next management depends on the extent of damage caused by the bleaching powder. The treatment is by using antibiotic eye drops and artificial tears eye drops. Hence you require consultation with a eye doctor to look for the extent of damage to the structures of the eye. If you have access to a ER it is better to get examined at ER. If you do not have access to ER, you can repeat the eye wash and start using antibiotic eye drops and artificial eye drops. Hope I have answered your question and the information is helpful to you. Thank you