Relation between PSA and recent ejaculation

PSA and recent ejaculation
I'm 56, and two years ago my PSA was 3.3. A few days ago I had a physical and PSA was 5.3. The doctor is giving me antibiotics to first rule out a minor infection. I had sex about three hours before the blood test, and I was just reading that recent ejaculation can cause a rise in PSA. Could that be the cause of an increase of 2?
Posted Sat, 14 Apr 2012 in Men's Health
Answered by Dr. Chandan Choudhary 59 minutes later

Yes, it could be because of recent sexual activity. Serum PSA (Prostatic Specific Antigen) or prostate specific antigen can increase in cancer of prostate, prostatitis, recent sexual activity, manipulation during digital rectal examination. But in your case it could be because of prostatitis or sexual activity.

Please get your urine test and ultrasound of KUB (Kidney, Ureters and Urinary Bladder) region and prostate done.

If these tests suggest prostatitis you can take antibiotics and anti-inflammatory drugs for about 2 weeks.

Hope I have answered your query. Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.