Regular threading on upperlips, darkness on the skin. How can the darkness be removed?

I am women of 31 years and regularly do threading on my upper lip on my face but lately i seen my upper lip becoming dark like mustache. can you please suggest me any medicinal ointment to remove this darkness and also advice any good bleach or ways to remove hair only upper lip. please don't advice laser.

Please help me. XXXXXXX
Posted Thu, 31 May 2012 in Skin Hair and Nails
Answered by Dr. Sudarshan 1 hour later

Thanks for posting your query .

Recurrent threading can cause friction and blackening of skin.

The treatment for it would be chemical peeling with salicylic acid, mandelic ,glycolic acid etc.

Also kojic acid , mild steroids, arbutin , glabridin can be used for skin lightening.

For hair removal physical methods are plucking , waxing,bleaching, use of depilatories etc.

Also topical medications like eflornithine can slow down the growth of hair.
Eflornithine is applied twice a day to areas of unwanted facial hair.
Noticeable results are usually observed after 4-8 weeks of therapy.
Application must be continued for as long as inhibition of hair growth is desired.
It continues to reduce facial hair growth for up to 8 weeks after discontinuing treatment.

Laser is the best method of hair removal but as you dont want to go for it electrolysis is possible best treatment for you.

You can use the methods after consulting your dermatologist.

If you have any further queries feel free to ask them.

Dr Sudarshan
Follow-up: Regular threading on upperlips, darkness on the skin. How can the darkness be removed? 51 minutes later
Hi Dr.,

Thanks for your reply.

You have given here so many acids to use and i am scared of picking up something wrong. As a immediate solution can you please suggest me a good ointment to get rid of darkening of skin in few days and after that i am thinking of using Eflornithine.

Thanks for all your help,
Answered by Dr. Sudarshan 3 hours later
Hi again XXXXXXX,

Glycolic acid and Kojic acid are good for getting rid of pigmentation.

They are available as topical cream as well as in form of peeling agents.

Chemical is done as office procedure at any dermatology clinic.

It is a safe and effective method for skin lightening.

Hope this helps you.
Dr Sudarshan