Regular periods, not on birth control, medicine to delay periods apart from birth control ?

Hi, may I answer your health queries right now ? Please type your query here...i"m getting my period in the next 24 hrs. I am not on the pill. What can I do to delay my period by a day or two?
Posted Wed, 25 Apr 2012 in Menstruation and Miscarriage
Follow-up: Regular periods, not on birth control, medicine to delay periods apart from birth control ? 7 minutes later
Is there other options besides birth control?
Answered by Dr. Jasvinder Singh 32 minutes later

The only way of postponing menstruation is by birth control hormonal pills. A traditional pack of birth control pills contains 28 pills, but only 21 are active and containing hormones. the rest 7 are inactive pills and when they are taken bleeding occurs. When you do not take these pills then menses get delayed.

However since you are to delay your menstrual cycles just 1 day prior to your menstrual cycles, you have to take progesterone only pills like Norethisterone. It is usually started two- three days before a period is due and then taken for the next seven days and then stopped, when normal vaginal bleeding will take place. You can talk to your gynecologist and get it prescribed as it is better to take it under medical supervision.

Hope this answers your query. If you have additional questions or follow up queries then please do not hesitate in writing to us. I will be happy to answer your queries.