Regular outbreaks, genital herpes. Preventative medicine or measure?

Hello my name is XXXXXXX. I have suffered from regular outbreaks of genital herpes for 20 years. I have decided to try and be proactive with it.

Do you have any recommendations for preventative medicine / measure and also treatments to lessen the severity and term of the outbreaks.

Many thanks in advance
Posted Tue, 1 May 2012 in Sexually Transmitted Diseases
Answered by Dr. Bharat Chawda 5 hours later

Thank you for the query,

Genital herpes is because of the HSV 2 infection and it does lead to recurrent attacks.The best way to suppress it is by taking the suppressive dose of acyclovir.It is recommended that if one has more than 6 attacks in a year then one can take a suppressive dose. Acyclovir still stands a gold standard in such cases and the dose is 400mg twice a day for 6 months .Since this is a prescription based medicine I would advice you to consult a dermatologist for proper prescription and follow up.
Acyclovir creams are also available but are not supposed to be very effective.

Hope I have answered your query.

I will be available for follow up query if any.

Dr.Bharat chawda
Follow-up: Regular outbreaks, genital herpes. Preventative medicine or measure? 47 hours later
Is there anything I can take to lessen the severity of an out break when they occur?
Answered by Dr. Bharat Chawda 25 minutes later

Thanks again,

If the recurrence of genital herpes is less than 6 in a year, then conventional dose of acyclovir on each attack can help reduce the severity and shorten the course of disease.

Hope I have answered your query.

Wish you good health.

Dr.Bharat chawda