Regular menstruation,tubal ligation,excessive bleeding,pain

I'm 49, and have 28-day menstrual cycles although they are now 5-7 days instead of 3-4. I had tubal ligation 10 years ago. This past period started 9/16, seemed normal and ended 9/21. Except for the past week, I've experienced gushes of bright red blood 3-5 times, mainly while running hard, and severe pain on my lower right side. Each gush fills a super/regular tampon but no more until the next gush. Any suggestions for cause?
Posted Sat, 5 May 2012 in Menstruation and Miscarriage
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 16 minutes later
The irregular and heavy bleeding that you are having can be due to uterine fibroids, polyps or hormonal disturbances commonly seen in perimenopausal age group. For diagnosis, you need to have an ultrasound scan of your lower abdomen.
To decrease the bleeding you need to have progesterone pills along with hemostatic agents like ethamsylate or tranexaemic acid after consulting with your gynaecologist.
Meanwhile start taking iron supplements to combat excessive blood loss from your body.
Checking serum FSH levels will give you an idea regarding time to menopause.
I hope my answer and recommendations are adequate and helpful. Waiting for your further follow up queries if any.