Regular menstrual cycles, all reports normal, trying to conceive.Was on Altroxin, prescribed Siphene. Is it necessary in my case ?

Infertility Specialist
Hello Doctor
I am 31yrs, 57kgs/5'8" , 25 day regular menstrual cycle (4day long, each time it starts 4-5days prior to previous months date). I have been trying to get pregnant since last 7-8 months. In the 1st Hormonal assay & Follicular Study I was detected with LH = 6.32 mIU/mL, FSH = 4.17 mIU/mL, TSH = 10.90 uIU/mL on Day12 and
Normal Ovaries with size 3.2 x 1.8 cm (R) and 2.0 x 2.7 cm (L) Endometrium 0.6-0.8cm but no dominant follicle as on Day 11 & Day 13
afterwhich I was prescribed 25 ug of Altroxin (having for last 2 months).Present thyroid test says TSH=2.211uIU/mL , FT4=1.11ng/dL, FT3= 2.92 pg/mL
Now I have been prescribed SIPHENE-100 from Day 3 to Day 7. Is this drug necessary to get pregnant in my case? I forgot to have it on Day 3, Can I have it on Day 4.
My husband's sperm count(with 5days abstinance) is 44 million/mL (50% motile, 30 % sluggish, 20% non-motile)
Posted Tue, 22 May 2012 in Getting Pregnant
Answered by Dr. Mahesh Koregol 56 minutes later

I have read your problem in detail. I understand your concerns. Following are my comments for your questions:

1) Your Thyroid Stimulating Hormone (TSH) values were high initially but is not in control after starting eltroxin. Please continue it. Don't stop till you get pregnant. Your Luteinizing hormone is on higher side. Please repeat it again on second day of next cycle to confirm it. Your other investigations are within normal limits. No need to worry.

2) "Siphene" is essential drug for getting dominant follicles since you are not getting dominant follicle naturally. Your doctor has prescribed correct dosage and duration. If you have skipped the dosage don't combine all of them. Take only that day's dosage of 100 mg. If you take more than 100 mg per day it will not give extra benefit. Hence please take 100 mg only even if you have forgotten.

3) Your husband's semen analysis is fine for getting a normal pregnancy. Do not worry about it.

I hope I answered your query. I will be available for any follow up queries you have.

Dr.Mahesh Koregol
Infertility Specialist