Regular menstrual cycle,hormonal imbalance,blue veins on leg,urine test,negative pregnancy

Dear Doctor,

I have been having regular menstrual cycles from last March 2011. I have had 5 cycles till date (avg 6 days with clots). I was last active sexually in March although we did not have complete sex. As such I want to know that can I still be pregnant as I have read that periods are possible even during pregnancy due to hormonal imbalance. Please advice as I am not ready for pregnancy.
Posted Wed, 25 Apr 2012 in Pregnancy
Follow-up: Regular menstrual cycle,hormonal imbalance,blue veins on leg,urine test,negative pregnancy 5 minutes later
Also I am getting little blue veins around on my leg (very faint) what can be the cause of this.
Follow-up: Regular menstrual cycle,hormonal imbalance,blue veins on leg,urine test,negative pregnancy 4 minutes later
Also I had taken a Lab urine test on 12/4/2011 for pregnancy which came out negative. Prior to this I took a HPT on March 27th which came out as negative as well. Under the above circumstances please advice whether I could still be pregnant as this has got me very worried over the months.
Answered by Dr. Mitaly 1 hour later

Thanks for posting your query

First of all, regarding the pregnancy if you are having regular cycles and the blood flow has been normal in amount and duration then possibility of pregnancy is not there.

Periods are not possible during pregnancy but sometimes during pregnancy light bleeding/spotting is present due to hormonal changes in the body which is known as implantation bleeding and it is not like usual period flow. You also got the tests done so every chance is ruled out.

Now coming to blue veins it seems to be condition known as XXXXXXX Vein Thrombosis in which the blood clot develops in the XXXXXXX veins of leg. It can be due to various reasons as prolonged standing/sitting job, medications, smoking, obesity etc.

It cannot be ignored and requires a physical examination and the best investigation would be Doppler USG which helps in ruling out the cause.

Following these measures would help you:
1) Apply hot compresses.
2) If pain is there you can take Ibuprofen for relief.
3) Avoid long hours of standing/sitting and keep moving the legs.
4) Compression stockings are available but are to be recommended after proper evaluation by the Physician.

Kindly do not be stressed about pregnancy but get the leg veins examined once.

Hope this answers your query. I will be available for follow up query.