Regular heroin user, using in groin area which is swollen and bruised and pain. Have palpitation and feverish

Jul 2013

Orthopaedic Surgeon, Joint Replacement
I am a regular I.V heroin user,and recently have been using in my groin area,which is all swollen+bruised..I just did the 10questions of possible dvt+each time I inject I have every1 of the 10 symptoms..also I experience very severe pains in my groin area,just above my pubic bone..These pains are so severe,my mother called nhs24Scotland on my behalf 2nights ago,after I had,as said above injected heroin into a vein in my groin..(like also said I have all symptoms mentioned in pages about deep vein thrombosis,but the most worrying for me during these episodes,is my palpitations+my uncontrollable feverishness..I am scared as it happened again earlier yesterday afternoon,once my mother had left! And I was sitting on my loo,with cold water splashing on myself+a cold flannel over my heart to bring down my very high temperature,the feeling faint+weak+ like I was going to have a heart attack is very very scary+I injected tonight elsewhere,and I had a temperature+same heart palpitations..Do I have a clot?
Posted Sat, 21 Sep 2013 in General Health
Answered by Dr. K. Naga Ravi Prasad 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Chances of getting DVT is high.

Detailed Answer:
Hi, thanks for writing to XXXXXXX

All Intravenous drug abusers suffer a lot of short term as well as long term effects of Heroin use. Some of them are
* Infectious diseases, for example, HIV/AIDS and hepatitis B and C
* Collapsed veins
* Abscesses
* Infection of heart lining and valves
* Addiction

DVT (deep vein thrombosis) can be diagnosed by a Doppler ultrasound examination of the involved blood vessels. DVT byitself is not XXXXXXX but once the clot gets dislodged from the vessel wall and gets blocked in the heart or lungs, then it is at times fatal.

This is also to let you know that only 50% of the people with DVT have signs and symptoms. So it may be lying silent in others.

I suggest you to consult a radiologist for a detailed investigative evaluation to diagnose the underlying DVT.

A worth tying procedure for heroin abuse is the DETOXIFICATION METHOD by the use of drug METHADONE. Aprroach a good detoxification centre to get out of the clutches of Heroin and make your life happy.

Hope I have justified your query. Happy to help for any clarification.