Regular cold since long, sinusitis, wet ears in morning, mucus discharge from throat. Remedy?

ENT Specialist
I am having cold for more than 2 years. I am also having sinus. I don't have cough. Every morning when I wake-up from my bed could see that my ears are wet. Mucus is always coming from my throat. what should I do to come out of this?
Posted Tue, 22 May 2012 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Answered by Dr. Naveen Kumar 2 hours later

Thanks for the query

Recurrent attacks of cold are due to a condition called allergic rhinitis.

Allergic rhinitis is a common condition characterised by an immunoglobulin E (IgE)-mediated inflammation of the nasal mucosa following exposure to allergens. It is characterized by sneezing, nasal discharge and nasal congestion.

Allergic rhinitis can also cause blockage of the sinus openings leading to accumulation of the nasal secretions in the sinus, giving rise to feeling of heaviness in the head. Also, there is trickling of the nasal secretions behind the throat causing discomfort in the throat.

The wet ears could be due to the cold itself. During an attack of cold, there is blockage of the Eustachian tube (the tube connecting the ear and the nose); this causes accumulation of fluid in the middle ear. Once the pressure of the fluid in the middle ear increases, it breaks the ear drum and the fluid oozes out.

You need to use steroid nasal spray (such as fluticasone/momentasone), a mucolytic (ambroxol or bromhexine) and an antihistaminic (fexofenadine/cetrizine). Also, you need to do steam inhalation 2-3 times when there is nasal congestion and drink plenty of warm water to keep the nasal mucosa hydrated.

Finally, you will require a thorough examination by a good ENT specialist. The doctor will perform a nasal endoscopy to assess the extent of disease and CT scan of the paranasal sinuses if required.

Preventive measures such avoiding the triggering allergens such as dust, smoke, strong perfumes and changing the pillow cover every night before going to bed can reduce the further attacks.

Hope I have answered your query; I will be available for the follow-up queries.

Dr. Naveen Kumar N.
ENT and Head & Neck Surgeon