Reduced the dose of ontario to 1000ui. How will my vitamin levels come to normal? Amount of vitamin in diet?

Hi I live in ontario canada and unfortunately government of ontario no longer covers the fees for vitamin D testing and they recommend everyone in ontario to take 1000 iu of vitamin d per day in supplement. I've been taking a lot more thanthat without my doctor's recommendation but today I reduced my dose to a 1000 ui cause I'm worried that I might be in vitamin d overdose. If I am in vitamin d overdose how long would it take for my vitamin d levels to go down to normal levels now that I'm down takinv 1000 ui of it per day in addition to my multivitamin and the amount of vitamin d that I take through my diet? Thanks bye
Posted Tue, 27 Aug 2013 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Vaishalee Punj 4 days later

Thanks for posting your query on XXXXXXX

You have been taking vitamin D most probably in excess of what is required for you. With a history of kidney failure, there is a very narrow therapeutic range for taking vitamin D. If you take it in lower doses you will develop its deficiency and if you take it in excess, you will develop its toxicity.

It is hard to predict when you will be able to excrete the excess vitamin d. Though I am thinking it will take a few weeks.

I will suggest that you take this vitamin and also other supplements under the supervision of your treating nephrologist. You will also need to get your vitamin D levels checked to see if you have excess vitamin D in your blood.

Let me know if you need further clarification

Dr Vaishalee
Follow-up: Reduced the dose of ontario to 1000ui. How will my vitamin levels come to normal? Amount of vitamin in diet? 2 days later
Well I actually didn't have kidney failure now that I remember. I had elevated creatinine. That's not kidney failure is it?
Answered by Dr. Vaishalee Punj 19 hours later
Hi again

Serum creatinine starts getting high when there is damage to nephrons (urine producing cells of the kidney) for a long time. Dehydration may also result in temporarily high levels. Chronic Kidney failure according to definition is when glomerular filteration rate is less than 60 ml/min/1.73m^2 for more than 3 months.

In view of high serum creatinine, I will still suggest that you should take vitamin D under medical supervision as its excretion would be decreased (depends on your renal function). Kidney also plays a role in production of vitamin D. Thus in kidney problems its production is also decreased. You need to be careful when taking the supplements. As I mentioned earlier its level may get high or low earlier in kidney problems. Thus its therapeutic interval is narrow. Now the best way to know the serum vitamin D levels is to get it measured with blood test.

Dr Vaishalee