Reduced the dosage of thyroxine. Feeling uncomfortable. Is It safe to go down so quickly?

Question
Today my doctor told me I am taking too much thyroxine. So from 175mg a day. The doctor wants me to drop to 25mg every other day now thats a big change. Is it safe to go down so quickly. Is feeling uncontrollably hot for months and tired because of too much thyroxin.
Posted Mon, 13 Aug 2012 in Thyroid Problem and Hormonal Problems

Answered by Dr. Chandra Shekhar Sharma 4 hours later

Welcome to XXXXXXX

There should be no problem due to decrease in your dose by 25mcg every other day.

Please let me know, "to what extent he wants to decrease your dose", and "what is your present thyroid profile report".

Thank you for posting your query. Hope you found my response to your query informative and helpful.

If you have further concerns in this regard, I would be happy to discuss those with you as well.

With good wishes,

Follow-up: Reduced the dosage of thyroxine. Feeling uncomfortable. Is It safe to go down so quickly? 8 hours later
No - the dose is to be 25mg every other day instead of 175mg I AM PRESENTLY TAKING each day.

All she said was you are taking far to much thyroid now and we need to change this?

Kind regards

Answered by Dr. Chandra Shekhar Sharma 1 hour later

Welcome again,

The dose of Thyroxine can be changed on the basis of test (T-3,T-4 & TSH) reports.

If T-3 and T-4 are high, dose of Thyroxine can be reduced accordingly.

In my previous reply, I have asked you "what is your present thyroid profile report?".

In the absence of your latest report, it is not possible to comment about decision to decrease your dose.

Please get your T-3, T-4 and TSH tested and upload the report.

Hope you found my response to your query informative and helpful.

With good wishes,