Reduced sex drive, impotence, hbp and high colesterol. Taking medicine. Will this be cured?

Jun 2015

my husband just start trt almost three weeks ago. My husband has suffered from this for ten years. He did not want to go to the doctor before because he was uncomfortable, so he suffered for ten years from no sex drive and impotence. He also now suffers from high blood pressure and high colesterol. He is now on medication for both these problems. My question is will trt reverse his symptoms since he has suffered from them for so long? He is getting injections every two weeks.
Posted Sun, 24 Mar 2013 in Men's Health
Answered by Dr. Polash Sannigrahi 43 minutes later

Reduced sex drive and impotence can be due to:
1. Circulatory disturbances
2. Spinal cord or pelvic injury
3. Hormonal disorders
4. Depression
5. Smoking, Chronic alcoholism
6. Prolonged intake of certain medications.

Erection of penis depends upon the adequate blood supply to the organ.
In your post, you have mentioned that your husband has been diagnosed with high blood pressure and high cholesterol.
These 2 conditions cause significant reduction in blood flow in the vessels of the penis, resulting in Erectile Dysfunction, reduced sex drive and impotence.

Management consists of:
1. Treatment of underlying cause- in this case, proper control of blood pressure & blood cholesterol levels.
2. Lifestyle & diet modifications
3. Regular exercise & meditation to relieve stress.

There is no need to worry.
Symptoms are reversible if proper control of blood pressure & cholesterol levels is achieved.
Investigation like a Doppler scan can be done to determine the degree of reduction in blood flow to the penis.
So, it will be better to consult an Urologist & get a proper physical examination done & also rule out the other causes of reduced sex drive and impotence.
Based upon that, appropriate management step could be taken.

Wishing a good health.
Let me know if I need to clarify further.
Thanks & take care.