Reduced hearing, pain, similar to ear block. Have hypertension and diabetes. Something to worry about?

ENT Specialist
For the last 2 weeks my hearing effectiveness seems to be about only 70% of normal . There was slight pain only once. The symptoms are similar to what would happen if there is a ear block after a bath however this is persisting for about 2 weeks. is it something I need to be worried about.
I have hypertension and diabetes.
Posted Mon, 17 Sep 2012 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Answered by Dr. Ravinder Sharma 1 hour later
On the basis of symptom described it appears that you have decrease in hearing in both ears for last 2 weeks.

You have also mentioned about slight pain in ear on one occassion.

Ear comprises of external ear (Pinna and external auditory canal), middle ear (bones and tympanic membrane) and inner ear (cochlea - organ of hearing ) and auditory nerve(nerve of hearing). The external and middle ear helps in conduction of sound to inner ear. Problem in external auditory canal (wax, fungal deposit, infection in auditory canal- otitis externa), middle ear (perforation of ear drum - trauma or infection , ossicles eroded or fixed) or inner ear (damage to cochlea -- dur to toxins, trauma ,drugs, smoking, hypertension , diabetes or aging) can cause deafness.

On the basis of information provided it appears you have a problem in external ear or middle ear. As pain with ear blockade occurs in disease of external auditory canal or middle ear. Generally pain is not present in sensorineural hearing loss(inner ear pathology)

I would advise you for a ENT consultation so that we can come down to the probable cause of deafness. Pure tone audiometry helps us in telling the amount of deafness and type of deafness(conductive or sensorineural) .

I hope this answers your concern. Do let me know if I can help you further about it

with regards
Ravinder Sharma