Reduced breast feeding. Advised to take stool test. Taking nusobe soya powder. Advise?

Answering to your query,

1. As the mother had to get back to work, she reduced breast feeding post 5th month and now she has 90% stopped .

2. She is not on any vitamin or Iron supplements

3. Pnuemonia problem is completely cured.

4. No significant history

5. She does not look pale, she is not consuming cow’s milk or formulae. Doctor has advised stool test this 29th Aug and check for lactogen tolerant . in her last stool test,

She is currently on nusobe soya powder.

Please let know if you required any more information.
Posted Sat, 14 Sep 2013 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Vaishalee Punj 13 hours later
Brief Answer:
She will take her time

Detailed Answer:
Hi again,

Thanks for providing me with the required information.

After reading the query, I think her previous struggle with infection, had a role to play with delay. I still think that she does not have developmental delay and that give her some time and she will recover. All kids start rolling over and crawl. They all stand up and walk. They just take their time.

I also need to know why she is on soya-based milk. What was the report for her previous stool test? Is she having indigestion or some other symptoms of lactose intolerance. If not then she should revert to cow-milk or cow-milk based formula. In some studies soya-based milk has shown some side-effects. If the baby's mother can pump breast milk and give her that when she is away, it would be the best option. Apart from milk what else is she taking?

In the meanwhile I will recommend the following:

- Give the baby some tummy time. That is lay her for a few minutes on her back, so that she learns to hold her head and will also learn to roll over. This has to be done under adult supervision.

- She should also be started on baby cereal that is fortified with iron, starting with rice cereal and slowly transitioning to other cereals. Of course she should be holding her head straight to be given solid food.

- Start her on some multivitamins meant for babies.

- Since she may be having stomach infection rather than milk or lactose intolerance, prepare her milk in pure water with low enough TDS. Usually, just boiling is not enough as it does not kill viruses.

Waiting for your reply.

Dr Vaishalee