Reduced alcohol consumption. Blood test for liver to be done. Will it drop in ggt, ast and alt levels?

Hi, I'm due a blood test soon for my liver and have stopped drinking every day (I used to have a bottle of wine per night) I'm now only drinking one bottle of white wine on a Saturday night and have done this for 2 months , will my ggt, ast and alt levels have dropped yet? I've also been taking milk thistle and eating a lot of fruit and vegetables .
Posted Fri, 16 Nov 2012 in Smoking and Alcohol Addiction
Answered by Dr. Jonas Sundarakumar 27 minutes later
Hello and welcome to Healthcare Magic. Thanks for your query.

Firstly, my appreciations to you for efforts to cut down on your alcohol consumption. Now, there are usually 4 liver enzymes which are included in the testing for liver functions in patients with alcohol-related problems - AST, ALT, Alkaline phosphatase and GGT. Out of these GGT is the most sensitive indicator of recent heavy alcohol consumption.

AST and ALT levels start decreasing within days of abstinence from alcohol, whereas GGT will take about 4 to 6 weeks for its levels to come down. Since, you have significantly cut down on your alcohol consumption for the last 2 months, your liver enzymes should show a fairly good reduction in levels.

I would encourage you to stay motivated and continue to follow a healthy diet. Avoiding fatty or oily foods and drinking plenty of fluids will also help in speeding up your liver recovery.

Wish you all the best.

- Dr. Jonas Sundarakumar
Consultant Psychiatrist