Reduced GFR, hypertension, hyperlipidemia, night time flank pain, severe raynaud's, carpal tunnel, LVH history, chest pain, migraines

I have reduced gfr (60), but I am also a vegetarian - (for 25 years). I am a 45 year old athletic female - never smoked, don't drink. I have hypertension and hyperlipidemia, and severe nighttime flank pain that is non-existent during the day. I have Hash. Hypothyroiditis and take levoxyl, and have severe Raynaud's. My right arm went numb with severe pain - now just weakness and achiness. Diagnosed with carpal tunnel which makes no sense. History of LVH. Occasional chest pain. I get migraines - both traditional and occipital. My hair is falling out. I am always cold. Should I be worried about kidney disease (low gfr, high BP, high Chol?)? Heart issues? Neurologic issues? autoimmune? What specialist would you recommend? I don't know where to turn.
Posted Tue, 1 May 2012 in Kidney Conditions
Answered by Dr. Robert Galamaga 9 hours later

You have a lot of things going on, so let me provide you with some reassurance, information and recommendations.

Regarding the GFR - I would only be concerned if there has been evidence of a limited GFR on more than one occasion. There are many things which can affect the GFR including - longstanding hypertension, medications, dehydration or infections. In addition, kidney stones can also affect kidney function - this is pertinent for you in light of your complaint of flank pains. Flank pain can be due to kidney stones or sometimes due to kidney infections.

In your case, a followup metabolic profile should be done to document if you have true limitation of GFR. If that is the case, your blood pressure should be managed and brought under good control. Your doctor will also check to see if you have any proteins in your urine. If that is the case you might see a nephrologist who specializes in seeing patients with limited kidney function.

thyroid dysfunction. I am suspicious that the thyroid issue may have triggered the carpal tunnel - again this is manageable with therapy and medications.

I would not be overly concerned about the kidney concern. Again, a followup test can be done to document that you have normal or slightly abnormal function which again can be addressed with medication or specialist consult with a nephrologist.

Again I thank you for your query. I hope you have found my answer to be both informative and helpful. Should you have additional concerns I am available to address them.

Dr. Galamaga