Redness, watering and swelling of eyes after an injury, blood shot on white area, yellow gooey stuff in eye. Advise?

Hi my 9 month old son hit the corner of his eye with his beacker spout while waving the beacker around in the air, the corner of his eye has a small red XXXXXXX the eye area is slightly swollen and red, the corner of the eye ball in the white area is slightly blood shot, his eye waters occassionally and he has a little bit of yellowish gooey stuff which is worse after sleeping. I have bather his eye with water and cotton wool, he does not seem bothered by it or in any pain, should i leave it a couple of days to see if it gets better or should I go starigt to the doctors ?
Posted Fri, 4 May 2012 in Vision and Eye Disorders
Answered by Dr. Gyanshankar Mishra 2 hours later

Thanks for posting the query.

Considering the history of eye injury in a 9 month old child who is currently having redness/ watering and swelling you should immediately approach an ophthalmologist who can clinically examine and evaluate the severity of eye injury and treat it accordingly. He may also prescribe some local antibiotic / anti inflammatory eye drops.

Hope this answers your query. I will be available for follow up.

Wishing your child a speedy recovery.