Redness, swelling, warmth in foot and hands. Pain in groin, knot in thigh. Any thoughts?

Question
For the past 3 weeks or so I have experienced redness, warmth and swelling in my right foot. Nothing in the left. Lately the swelling and redness have susbided for the most part but the warmth still comes and goes.
Here is the kicker, three days ago, I was wlaking through the Atlanta airport and my hands got warm and red like my right foot. When I elevate the foot and hands, normal color appears.

I do not smoke, drink, and in generally good health. 50 years old, 5'10" and 180 pounds.

I have pain in the inner right groin area some, but not constantly. The nodes do not appear o be overly swollen, at least I think. I have noticed a small knot deep in the inner thigh close to the muscle or on the muscle - not sure if its related.

Any thoughts? I will be seeing my physician on Friday but wanted to get your thoughts. Thanks, XXXXXXX
Posted Fri, 12 Apr 2013 in Bones, Muscles and Joints

Answered by Dr. Raju A.T 5 hours later

Redness, warmth and swelling are the signs of inflammation seen in response to allergies or infections. Based on your history, I suspect the symptoms to be due to allergic condition, specially a localized response due to coming in contact with a specific allergen.

The symptoms appear in parts exposed to the allergen, most of times symptoms in the limbs appear evident and that of the trunk go unnoticed.

The lymph nodes increase in size as the reaction is elicited by the immune cells from the nodes.

I would suggest you to get a blood test called ABSOLUTE EOSINOPHIL COUNT. This will determine the allergy status of the body.

Also do get examined by your treating doctor, which will help to rule out any other causes of such inflammation.

Hope I answered your query.

Please let me know if there are any other concerns.

Follow-up: Redness, swelling, warmth in foot and hands. Pain in groin, knot in thigh. Any thoughts? 1 hour later
Hello Dr. XXXXXXX

Thank you very much for your answer. I was concerned that it was a circulatory issue and the knot in the crease of my right groin a very swollen node or tumor.

I may be dealing with two separate issues in that the groin area has a twinge feeling at times. Would the know be from a pulled muscle or lower/deeper node in the right groin area.

Also, one final question regarding redness in the hands and foot. I feel the warmth periodically as the redness comes on. At times in my hands it feels as though the blood is rushing into my hands when I lower them below waist level.

Any additional thoughts would be welcomed. Thank you sir.

Answered by Dr. Raju A.T 17 hours later

Thanks for writing back.

Need not worry; I do not think the node to be any sort of tumor. It is very common for a lymph node in the vicinity to be swollen due to a inflammation in the limb.

Based on the description I do consider it to be due to a allergic inflammation brought about by chemical mediators which alter the circulation and produce the above effects.

Hope, I answered your query.

Wish you good health.

Follow-up: Redness, swelling, warmth in foot and hands. Pain in groin, knot in thigh. Any thoughts? 8 minutes later
Thank you Dr. XXXXXXX I appreciate your input. I do plan on getting a blood test when I see my clinician later this week.

Answered by Dr. Raju A.T 15 minutes later
You are welcome.

Thanks for using this service.

Wish you good health.