Ask a Urologist   »  

Redness and rubbed raw feeling on below penis head, -ve std tests, no sex since long

Question
On the right sode of my penis, just below the head, it feels rubbed raw. Usually there is no redness, but tonight I noticed it was red in the area. I have been tested for stds, and been clear. I have not had sex in more than 4 months, and my last partner was also free of std's. I run half marathons, and train rather hard. I am hoping it's just some sort of chaffing.
Posted Sun, 22 Apr 2012 in Penis Problems
Follow-up: Redness and rubbed raw feeling on below penis head, -ve std tests, no sex since long 27 minutes later
Also, There has been pain in this area for over a year. It remains fairly consistent. It doesn't really go away, but sometimes I forget about it because I am so used to dealing with it. I had begun to think it was a conversion disorder, that started with a there having been an irritation from sex over a year ago. I forgot to mention in the medical history that I have GAD (Generalized Anxiety Disorder). Normally I would chalk it up to that, but This time I noticed it was red in the area that I usually feel raw.

Answered by Dr. Mohammed Tauseef 19 minutes later
Hi ,

Thank you for the query.

I would like to know few more things which would help me in suggesting you better:

1.) Are you able to retract your foreskin?
2.) Do you have pain?
3.) Do you masturbate excessively?
4.) Do you have burning sensation while passing urine?
5.) Do you have itching?

Your history suggests you have balanitis which is the inflammation of glans penis or balanoposthitis which is the inflammation of glans penis and prepuce. They have to be confirmed, Kindly get yourself examined by a Urologist so that he may examine you and run few tests if necessary to rule out the exact cause.

Once confirmed, you will be treated accordingly with oral or topical antibiotics. The tests involve,

1.) Bloodwork.
2.) Urinalysis.
3.) Culture, if there is a discharge.

In addition to this follow these lifestyle modifications:

1.) Maintain proper and good hygiene of the area.
2.) Practice safe sex.
3.) Exercise regularly for 30 to 40 minutes and maintain a healthy weight.
4.) Avoid smoking and alcohol, if you do.
5.) Eat healthy nutritious balanced diet which should include fresh fruits and XXXXXXX leafy vegetables.
6.) Masturbate only when you are sexually aroused, may be twice or thrice a week, if you do.
7.) Stick to your treatment plan and go for regular follow up.

Hope I have answered your query, I will be available to answer your follow up queries.

Wish you Good Health.

Take Care.

Dr. Mohammed Tauseef.

Follow-up: Redness and rubbed raw feeling on below penis head, -ve std tests, no sex since long 20 minutes later
The foreskin retracts fine. There is a slight pain, nothing unbearable, but I definitely notice it. I do not masturbate excessively, but when I do, I avoid contact with that area because of the pain/raw feeling. Occasionally I have itching, but never in that area, more of a typical male itch... There is no burning sensation when I urinate. The raw sensation is specifically in one spot around the foreskin area on the right of the penis.

Answered by Dr. Mohammed Tauseef 22 minutes later

Thank you for writing back to me.

Fine, your follow up history suggests balanitis but as I said earlier, it has to be confirmed. Kindly get yourself examined by a Urologist so that you may evaluated in detail and other causes ruled out and treated accordingly.

Follow the advice which I had given, stick to your treatment plan and go for regular follow up.

Take Care.

Dr. Mohammed Tauseef.