Reddish watery eye with itching. Is it a stye or conjunctivits?

Hello, I am having issues with my left eye as of the past three days. It is watering continuously and the corner is red and it feels like it is slightly closed compared to my right eye. It has some minor itching and I have been using drops since yesterday.

How do I know if I am getting pink eye? a stye or have conjunctivitis (sp?) The drops I have used are multi-symptom and help slightly.
Posted Tue, 8 May 2012 in Vision and Eye Disorders
Answered by Dr. N. K. Misra 2 hours later

Thanks for sending your query.

To differentiate sty and conjunctivitis, if there is a point tenderness(pain)on lid margin that may be a sty as compared to a generalised discomfort which may be conjunctivitis along with discharge more in the morning.

With a back ground of diabetese mallitus chances of infection are always more.

Antibiotic drops are needed to control conjunctivitis.

In case of sty oral antibiotics will also be needed, more so in view of diabetes mallitus background.

Discharge at the moment may be less due to treatment you are already taking.

Hope I have answered your query. Please do write back if you have additional concerns.

Follow-up: Reddish watery eye with itching. Is it a stye or conjunctivits? 1 hour later
How do I tell if its viral vs. bacterial? I assume with viral it just needs to run its course?
Answered by Dr. N. K. Misra 8 hours later

Thanks for getting back to us.

Bacterial infections of eye have mucopurulent (yellowish or pus like) discharge. Viral infections are usually associated with redness and watering. However we most often see mixed infections.

So though viral infection are self limiting and do not need antibiotics. But in any eye infection we routinely prescribe antibiotics to take care of superadded bacterial contamination. It also plays it part by preventing bacterial infection that can to add to the misery later.
As we cannot have culture/sensitivity backup, the antibiotic drops are not specific to the bacteria involved. Your primary care healthcare provider will be able to prescribe antibiotics to you.

Hope this answers your query. Should you have any other query, please do get back to me.
Do accept the answer if you do not have any further queries.