Reddish thick lines near the navel. Are these blood vessels?

May 2013
I am having three red color thick lines on the either side of the navel (2 on the right and 1 on the left), there is no problem ,when i feel them with hand it seems like blood vessel .( Image attached)
Kinldy advise.
Posted Wed, 20 Jun 2012 in Skin Hair and Nails
Answered by Dr. Sree Gouri SR 57 minutes later
thanks for the query.

according to your description and photos the possible causes are,

-caput medusae: dilated veins around the umbilicus are called caput medusae,

these can be seen in conditions like, chronic Hepatitis B, chronic Hepatitis C, alcoholic liver disease, portal hypertension, cirrhosis, drug induced etc.

As you told that at present you are not having any problem, chronic causes comes first.

Other causes of dilated abdominal veins are,

-blood vessel disorders like blocking of blood vessels, inflammation etc.
-disorders affecting blood vessels like hypertension.
-Abdominal distension, ascites etc.

Though at present you are not having any symptoms, sometimes this dilated veins can be due to some underlying pathology as I said above, better to visit physician and undergo general checkup which will find out the cause.

Hope I have answered your query. I will be available to answer your follow up queries. If you are satisfied with all my answer, please rate the answer after closing the discussion.
take care.

Follow-up: Reddish thick lines near the navel. Are these blood vessels? 43 minutes later
thanks for the reply doctor..
One thing I would like to mention is I was taking medicines for acid reflux about 3 weeks back..
also I had a ultrasound of my abdomen which was normal but had one observation Fatty Liver Grade I..
Is there a reason to worry?
Answered by Dr. Sree Gouri SR 16 minutes later

there are no sufficient evidences to say that antacids used for acid reflux can cause dilated blood vessels.

fatty liver can be the cause of your dilated veins as it can be because of alcohol ingestion or as it occurs prior to cirrhosis of liver,
in both these conditions caput medusae can be seen.

so you better consult physician once and get examined.

Wish you Good Health, If you are satisfied with my response please rate the answer after closing the discussion.
take care.