Ask a Urologist   »  

Reddish, sticky and glossy rash on testicles. Can it be STD?

Hi, I have had a reddish, sticky, glossy rash on the skin on my testicles and part of the underside of the penis for about 5 or 6 months now. It does not sound like an STD. Do you have any idea what it could be?
Posted Wed, 25 Apr 2012 in Penis Problems
Answered by Dr. Robert Galamaga 2 hours later
Hello and thank you for submitting your question.

Your question is a good one and I will work on providing you with some good information and recommendations regarding the symptoms you are experiencing.

From what you have described I think what you are experiencing is likely fungal in nature. it is not uncommon for a fungal infection to develop in the groin. Sometimes these can become extensive but most of the time the resolve on their own.

In your case I would suggest that you start a regimen of antifungal treatment. As far as this is concerned there is an over-the-counter medication called Clortrimazole. This comes in a formulation of a cream. I would recommend that you start using this cream twice or three times per day for at least 10 or 14 days.

If your rash does not completely improve within two or three weeks I would recommend that you talk to your doctor about obtaining a prescription. There are several prescription formulations of antifungal preparations which are very effective. Some of these come in powder formation which can be very effective as well.

Otherwise right now I would recommend that you wear loose fitting underwear in order to allow for the area affected to remain relatively dry.

I thank you again for submitting your question. If you have any additional concerns I would be happy to address them here. Otherwise please accept my response.

Dr. Robert