Reddish splotchy lumps from calf to ankle on exposure to high temperature

My granddaughter is working at a riding stable and it is very hot, and suddenly the lower back part of her legs have become read, splotchy and lumps from the calf to the ankel.
she is NOT riding the horses, but has to get them ready for the riders. It has been almost 100 degrees where she works and she has very pale skin. no rash or lumps anywhere but on her lower back of legs from calf to ankle
Posted Sun, 1 Jul 2012 in Skin Rash
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 3 hours later
It seems that your grand daughter is suffering from cholinergic urticaria.
It is characterised by a hypersensitive response in the skin as a result of the body increase in temperature (passively or actively), or the release of sweat.

Some common treatments include taking antihistamines (such a Allegra, Zyrtec, or stronger ones), avoiding known triggers (such as hot weather, physical activity, and spicy foods), corticosteriods (only for extreme cases), anabolic steroids, UVB therapy, sweat/exercise therapy, diet changes (such as avoiding known trigger foods), and more.

You can get the appropriate drugs prescribed from your dermatologist after a physical examination.
Avoid working in a hot and humid weather and keep yourself well hydrated. Right now she can take an antiallergic like Zyrtec and apply 1% hydrocortisone ointment on the affected area for symptomatic relief.
Hope this answers your query. I will be glad to answer the follow up queries that you have.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Dr. Rakhi Tayal.