Reddish skin rashes on the body after taking Biaxin and Plaquenil. Taking prednisone. Recovery period?

Dermatologist
Question
i was taking Biaxin and Plaquenil for 4 days and broke out with blotches on my body...none on face , hands, or feet. They are irregularily shaped and a reddish to purplish color. They do not itch. Dr. said to discontinue drugs and gave me prednisone. Took it for 5 weeks and they have gotten better but NOT gone. Was told the if this was from the Plaquenil, that it could take up to 3 months for this condition to totally clear up? HELP
Posted Sun, 15 Apr 2012 in Skin Hair and Nails

Answered by Dr. Gaurang Krishna 13 hours later

In my opinion, you have been treated rightly.

This can very well be a drug reaction. Though I do not expect the red blotches to remain as such for a long time; but yes, the black marks they leave tend to persist for months.

Five weeks of prednisolone is usually enough. You may consider applying a moisturizing cream over the affected areas now.

Hope I have answered your query. Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.

Follow-up: Reddish skin rashes on the body after taking Biaxin and Plaquenil. Taking prednisone. Recovery period? 2 hours later
My Dr. has told me that if the condition begins to get worse "even a little" that she wants to put me back on the predisone. She has also mentioned vasculitis ????? but didn't elaborate. Should I go back on the predisone and what is vasculitis? I am wondering if I should be going to a "specialist" in another field ? Thank you.

Answered by Dr. Gaurang Krishna 17 hours later
Hello and thanks again,

My opinion about restarting prednisolone is if this is a drug reaction and you have stopped the culprit drug, I do not see any reason to start prednisolone again.

A dermatologist is the best person you should see for this problem.

Vasculitis is basically an inflammation of small capillaries and venules in the skin. If you may attach a few pictures of your lesions on the right hand side of the query page, it will be of great help to me for giving you a better opinion.

Awaiting your response

Thanks

Follow-up: Reddish skin rashes on the body after taking Biaxin and Plaquenil. Taking prednisone. Recovery period? 6 days later
Image uploaded

Answered by Dr. Gaurang Krishna 6 hours later
Thank you for uploading the image. I have taken a good look at it.

This does look like a drug rash. Vasculitis, a distant possibility too comes to mind.

In my opinion the lesion should be biopsied.

Hope I answered all your questions. Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries. Wish you Good Health.