Reddish ring around stool. What does that mean?

I've been drinking a lot of alcohol lately and I have a reddish ring around my stool in the toilet but that's the only place it is. What does that mean?
Posted Tue, 19 Nov 2013 in Liver and Gall Bladder
Answered by Dr. Klerida Shehu 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Please refer to the following suggestions...

Detailed Answer:

There are many factors contributing to reddish ring around your stool,

- hemorrhoids

- infection of the large bowel

- trauma or injuries of the anus when on anal sex or due to fissures or constipation

I'd suggest to

- keep your anal area well-cleaned

- avoid anal sex

- eat healthy foods XXXXXXX in fiber to avoid constipation

- drink plenty of water

- avoid drinking alcohol for a while

If no improvement, I advise to consult a GI to run some other tests and to get proper treatment.

Hope that answered your inquiry.

p.s. If you have further concerns, do not hesitate to write back to me.
Follow-up: Reddish ring around stool. What does that mean? 1 hour later
Thank you, I'm straight. I don't have hemorrhoids. I do keep it clean and have never been constipated. I have been drinking 4 days a week for the past couple months, 4-6 drinks a sitting. Just recently have I noticed this occasional reddish ring around by stool in the toilet, passing is not painful, perhaps a slight burning sensation. Stool is soft and brown.
Answered by Dr. Klerida Shehu 14 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Consult a proctologist; avoid drinking alcohol...

Detailed Answer:

You might be suffering with fissure or other anal injuries. These require a per rectal examination.
At this point, I'd suggest to consult a proctologist to exclude fissures or other anal injuries.

Please bare in mind that alcohol is the main factor which can aggravate your situation. You are too young to suffer from alcohol problems as you have a long life to live ahead.

Hope this answered your inquiries!